Thursday, August 25, 2011


For me, this google docs exploration was a new experience. I've never used it before, but I will be using it in the future, and in fact, I have already used in a class project. My original thoughts were that it was just like word, so why bother. Now I see that it does so much more.


Some things you can do with google docs that you can't with word...
*share the document with others
*chat to your doc members
*work on a project from different locations
*insert Internet links: including videos, pictures, websites etc.
*use the link from your doc for a blog,
*Write separate comments within the doc

Personally, I will use this for writing workshops. In the past, when I've workshopped/edited a story for one of my creative writing workshop group members, they've sent their stories to me by an attachment in an email. Email attachments pose many issues--sometimes the file isn't compatible with my computer, I have to attach it back, it's still in my computer, it's difficult to edit by typing on their doc. etc. With google docs, I could make comments as I go and not upset the structure of their text. I could also have them view it at the same time as I, enabling me to get any questions I have answered.

Use in the classroom...

I think I could find many uses in my classroom. My students could put their assignments in google docs, invite me, and I could make comments when it's not class time. I could also set up a survey in a doc, invite my students, and get the results without wasting paper.

Overall, this was a good trek through google docs. It will be fun to get more comfortable with this program, and to discover more of it's capabilities.


1 comment:

  1. Great job. Be sure to share this bulleted list of "web based" word processing attributes that are not possible with local word processors.

    ReplyDelete