Monday, September 12, 2011

Analyzing Student Data in a Spreadsheet.

Here is my chart. This took me quite a long time to do, but it is my first time using Google Sheets. After I got the hang of it, it was a pretty quick and easy way to determine classroom data. It's a good tool to know and be a bit familiar with.




1st sheet shows the student, test, and overall average. Then I made another chart to sort low to high averages. I duplicated the data another time to show the below overall average. Then I created a separate sheet for the graph itself. I needed Maria's help to embed the data. It wasn't as easy as embedding my screenr video because screenr has an option where you can turn your URL into an embedded HTML text. There you go! A nother giant technological step for Jan. :)

In analyzing the students growth, I see that most of the students have progressed from test six to test ten.  If this were in fact my class, and I discovered this, I would take another look at why this is. Is it because I made the test more simple? Did I have better prep for my students? Were they more motivated to study? and so on. Another thing is that not all progressed by a lot. Queen even dropped by five points. I think it's important to use this data to analyze the way you assess your students. By looking at what I did differently for each test that may have bettered their scores, I could then implement those things more. This really is an interesting perspective when analyzing your classroom, and how to improve your students scores. Certainly there are many ways to evaluate, but this is one of them most cut and dry and easy to see. You could even create individual graphs for parents to see their students growth, and it would be up to you to put in where they are compared to other students or not.

2 comments:

  1. One great leap for mankind (or Jan in this case). Job well done.
    Please take a few moments to complete what is actually one of the most important parts --> ANALYZING the data. Please re-read the last part of the instructions to see exactly what to do. You're almost there ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry! I forgot to put in my analysis. Here it is. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete